Apostille & Legalization in Canada

Toll Free 1-800-857-1215

Getting married abroad can be an exciting adventure, but it also requires special attention to legal practices and implications. If you are planning on being married in a foreign country, the first thing you need to do is get in touch with the nearest embassy of the country where your marriage will occur to determine the appropriate legal requirements. Canada has many government offices abroad that will provide you with the necessary information regarding the regulations of the country you are planning on saying I do in.

Typical Requirements

Most countries require a valid Canadian passport and a certificate issued by your home province or territory proving that there are no legal issues that would invalidate or bar the union.  Make sure you make it a priority to obtain this information and certification before you leave Canada to prevent unwanted obstacles for your marriage.

Other potential requirements

Being married abroad can be tricky because every government entity is different. While it’s best to check with your particular circumstances, here is a list of potential and common requirements:

1.) Birth Certificate

2.) Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad.

3.) Premarital blood test certificate

4.) Divorce papers, if applicable.

5.) Death certificate and/or a statement of parental consent

Again, while these are common examples, each country is different and it’s crucial to check with the local laws. Additionally, just like you have no doubt already made extra efforts for your life abroad, you might have to have all the appropriate documents translated into the local language of the country where you are being married as well as having the necessary documents authenticated or legalized. The Legalization Service Centre is here to help you with the authentication of documents process.

Ultimately, It’s smartest to start the process early so that any obstacles you encounter have sufficient time to be resolved and you can focus on all the other details that come along with a marriage!


Marriages that are performed in a foreign country and adhere to all applicable laws are typically considered valid in Canada and you do not need to register them again. When you marry a citizen of another country, there is a chance that you will automatically become a citizen of that country but don’t worry! This will not affect your Canadian citizenship in Canada’s view. Unfortunately, your adopted country may not recognize your Canadian citizenship and may prevent Canada from providing you with consular assistance, so it’s important to understand your local government processes.

Marriage is an exciting and often overwhelming time. While the nuts and bolts of legal documents might not be at the top of your wedding to-do list, getting married abroad means digging into your local rules and regulations and cross-referencing with the appropriate Canadian authorities. The Legalization Service Centre should be your first point of contact in arranging the documents for your international marriage.

Do contact us for the assistance with the documents authentication process in Canada. We will authenticate your Canadian documents with no time and professionally as we know the process and we know how to do it.

Get Started
Doc Tracker