Apostille & Legalization in Canada

Toll Free 1-800-857-1215

A document Apostille acts as a means of speeding up the legalization of specific certifications, permits, and other important documents. However, Canada was not a signer of the 1961 Hague Apostille Convention. It can be confusing if you’re not familiar with this confirmation at all and have never needed it, but as it stands, you need to seek out an alternative form of authentication and document legalization when in Canada that replaces the Apostille process here.

Today, let’s explore how to receive equally effective alternatives to an Apostille, as well as where to get an Apostille stamp within Canada. This stamp is accepted in other countries that are signers of the Hague Apostille Convention.

Working with Global Affairs

Since Canada has never been a member of the Apostille Convention, this form of confirmation must be obtained via alternative means. There is a process you can follow, however, to obtain the Apostille stamp necessary for when official documents cross borders into other countries and need to be verified as legitimate. This process involves going through Global Affairs Canada’s Authentication Sector, which is located in Ottawa, to get your documents stamped accordingly. Afterward, documents bearing the stamp then go through the appropriate embassies and consulates located in Canada for legalization.

Trusting the Experts

Don’t take risks when it comes to the validity of your documents. The alternative to an Apostille behaves in very much in the same way; only the name of the term really changes, in this instance known as authentication and legalization. To make sure your documents are valid and accepted in other countries, working with experienced and reputable professionals is key. At the Legalization Service Centre, we have over half a decade of successful experience in document Apostille, authentication and legalization. We fulfill the Apostille Stamp on Canadian documents by going directly through Ottawa’s official processing system. We cross every “t” and dot every “i” to leave nothing to chance.

Examples of Documents that can be “Apostilled”

Degrees, diplomas, and transcripts can be authenticated and legalized by certified professionals such as us at Legalization Service Centre, along with secure and reliable processes that ensure your data is safeguarded indefinitely. In addition, we can authenticate and legalize the following documents:

  • Birth, marriage, death, and change of name certificates
  • Criminal record check certificates and fingerprints
  • Powers of attorney documentation
  • Deeds and letters of authorization
  • Corporate and export/supply chain documents
  • Pension documents
  • Tax residency letters

Be Aware of Processing Times and Extra Steps

If you’re planning on travelling soon, be well-aware of the processing times when it comes to “Apostilling” a document in Canada. For instance, Global Affairs Canada’s Authentication Sector can take as long as 20 business days, and that’s if your request is accepted, though you may be able to visit their Ottawa office in-person and speed it up further. There are also embassy processing times to consider, and each operates differently – some can take weeks longer than others to fully process your documents, while others may require notarization and other extra steps. Make sure you complete all required criteria before leaving for the country in question. Also, should you be in a hurry, our team at Legalization Service Centre can get your documents fully authenticated and legalized in as little as two business days thanks to our rush service! Tight deadlines shouldn’t have to get in the way of your plans, so we’re glad to help alleviate any stress.

Whether you’re travelling for business, to study or for pleasure, having the equivalent to an official Canadian Apostille for all appropriate documents is essential to streamline entry and exit from the countries you plan on visiting. For more information or to get started on taking care of this paperwork with ease, reach out to us at the Legalization Service Centre. We’re happy to help!

Get Started
Doc Tracker