Studying Abroad? Here’s What You Need to Know

Dec 8, 2019

Travelling internationally for study purposes can be an incredible adventure. However, with every country operating independently with specific entry and exit requirements along with rules to follow while you’re there, it can feel overwhelming when it comes to that dreaded step of the journey… the paperwork. Fear not, however, as we at Legalization Service Centre are here to help! Let’s go over some examples of documents that are required for your stay as well as highlight what needs to be properly authenticated and legalized.

Getting a Valid International Passport

No travel outside Canada is possible without a valid international passport. Our tip is to grab the 10-year version as it’s well worth the investment – you don’t want to get caught in another country after it has expired, and this alleviates much of that risk. This is especially true if you’ll be studying for several years in another country. To obtain one, head to your local immigration office and fill out the application form.

Apostilling Documents

An Apostille represents a confirmation that the document in question is valid, acceptable in other countries, and valid. Canada isn’t part of the Apostille Convention, so the process takes on a different term: Authentication.

Among the documents that you may be required to have authenticated for study abroad, there are a few key ones you should be aware of, as follows:

Certificates of Study

Before you can even leave, you need to make sure that your host country is aware of your current academic status. To get your application successfully processed for overseas student travel, all certificates of study (high school, prior college diplomas, etc.) need to be sent along with your transcripts. This information is used to determine whether an applicant is an ideal fit for the program in question. Sometimes, alternative options might be suggested to you if a particular program isn’t a good fit.

Student Visa

This is a critical part of your travel document portfolio if studying in another country for any period of time. Once you’ve received a letter of invitation, you need to obtain a student visa at the embassy for the country which you intend to stay in. Like the passport, there is a cost associated with this, so be sure to budget in advance. In addition, always make sure your student visa is authenticated and legalized before you leave (this is also known as an Apostille in other countries).

Other Documents

Depending on the specific country you visit, you may be required to have other documents authenticated such as your enrollment letter, birth certificate, and more. Essentially, any document requiring an official’s signature can be Apostilled, so check with the embassy of the country you intend to stay in and make a note of which you need to have authenticated. As a precaution, there’s no harm in bringing in all relevant documents to get them checked before leaving.

Be Prepared for Change

A week or two before you’re set to leave, double-check with the embassy of the country you’re headed to and ensure no changes have been made to the list of required authenticated documents. This step helps to keep your trip streamlined and positive so you can focus on the studies at hand. If there has been a recent admission requirement change and you need something Apostilled quickly, reach out to us at Legalization Service Centre for our rush authentication service!

The more prepared and proactive you are, the easier it will be for you to begin your studies abroad without any hassle! If you need assistance with specific documents or professional authentication and legalization services, reach out to us today for reliable and timely assistance.

Share this entry

You might also like

Canadian Documents: UAE Attestation

Canadian Documents: UAE Attestation

If you’re seeking post-secondary education and/or are looking for opportunities for employment, chances are you already heard of United Arab Emirates! This country offers one of the highest quality education in the Middle East, and is currently a hotspot for anyone...

Special Power of Attorney: Philippines Legalization

Special Power of Attorney: Philippines Legalization

If you have a business in the Philippines, it’s important to ensure that it is always protected, even when you are traveling or unable to make decisions in person. A Special Power of Attorney (SPA) is a document that enables an appointed person to make decisions on...

What are the Different Types of Legal Documents?

What are the Different Types of Legal Documents?

In today's modern society, you need a lot of paperwork to run your life smoothly, whether you're buying a house or starting a new company. With the law becoming more complex over time, many businesses require various legal forms to operate legally — including...

Medical Professionals Abroad: Attestation of Documents

Medical Professionals Abroad: Attestation of Documents

Canadian medical professionals are regarded very highly around the world. This is because medical training, licensing standards and practice in Canada are amongst the most challenging in the world. As such, foreign countries and organizations seek out Canadian medical...

Signing a Power of Attorney for Israel

Signing a Power of Attorney for Israel

I'm sure we all have realized something lately: travelling outside of Canada is hard! Especially if you have business in Israel - be it professionally or personally. For example, those with businesses or legal/financial matters found it difficult to carry on their...

Teaching in China? Legalize Your Documents!

Teaching in China? Legalize Your Documents!

Recently, China has gained an eagerness to teach its people fluency in English, opening up many opportunities for people in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. With this growing demand, the popularity of a teaching job in China has increased...

Contact Us to Get Started

    Your First and Last Name

    Your Email

    Your Province/Country of Residence

    Your Telephone

    Type of Document/Services Required

    Select Number of Documents

    Please Select Country of Destination for Your Documents

    Brief Explanation

    Please solve the problem below to prove you are a human: