Apostille & Legalization in Canada

Toll Free 1-800-857-1215

Recently, China has gained an eagerness to teach its people fluency in English, opening up many opportunities for people in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. With this growing demand, the popularity of a teaching job in China has increased significantly. Here in Canada, people choose these jobs for many reasons. Some see it as a way to gain teaching experience after obtaining a teaching degree. Others view it as gainful employment after their college or university education. Still others seek the opportunity simply for the experience of exploring another country while supporting themselves. Regardless of the reasons, a teaching job in China is definitely a lifetime experience and one you are likely excited to embark on!


Before you can begin, there are a few things you need to know about the document and paperwork involved. A teaching job in China involves travelling to and living in a different country. Your need to prepare several documents for your employer, to start on your work visa application. Some documents your employer will likely require include:

  • A Canadian passport, valid for at least 6 months or even the duration of your entire contract
  • A police background check
  • Proof of your Canadian degree such as a Bachelor or Master’s diploma
  • TEFL certification (also known as TESOL certification)


Once you’ve collected and organized all the documents, you will have to have them notarized as true copies. Then, authenticated by the Canadian government and then legalized by Chinese Embassy. In order to notarize true copies of original documents, they must be signed by a notary public in Canada. Some documents that you might want to send copies of include your passport, degree, and TELF certification. It’s easier to send true copies instead of the original for various reasons. It will help you preserve your original as well as prevent damage or potential loss. Since originals may be more difficult to obtain once lost or damaged, the most popular choice is to send copies of these documents.


Authentication is the process used by the Canadian government to validate the signature on your documents as being valid and authentic. Once this is confirmed, they place a large red stamp to identify your documents as having been authenticated by them. Following this, your documents will need to be legalized by the Chinese embassy in Ottawa. The embassy will validate that your stamp is true and that your documents meet all other legalization requirements. Once they have confirmed this, they too will either affix their stamp or a certificate directly to your documents.


While the process of authentication and legalization may appear simple, going through a professional service provider such as Legalization Service Centre can save you time, hassle, and significant due-diligence. The Canadian government can also take weeks, if not months, to authenticate your documents. With our knowledge of inside matters, we can help speed up the process. Moreover, embassies often have changing requirements which make legalization daunting and difficult to keep track of. Because our office is located minutes from most embassies in Ottawa, we are able to keep up-to-date information on embassy requirements and make in-person submissions and tracking of your documents. You can always contact us via our phone number or via WhatsApp, or fill in our online order form! Our experts will guide you through the process and make the paperwork involved in your new adventure as uncomplicated as possible!

Picture source: EF English First: Work Abroad